Monday, March 5, 2012

Moonshine updates!

A special Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 has been organized for riders heading to Moonshine. By starting in one of the 60 designated starting cities/towns, only having to get receipts at the beginning, end, and iof applicable a required midpoint town, I can earn an easy SS1K on the way to Moonshine. For my non-riding friends, this is 1000 miles in 24 hours. To do this, I would have to adjust my departure time from near Dallas, TX; ride about 80 miles south to the designated starting point closest to Dallas (Hillsboro), then ride to Salina, KS; then on to Casey, IL.

Updates on the bike project: Rear flange bearing are installed; wiring harness is coming along slowly, but is nearing completion; valve adjustment is done; shock preload fluid has been changed; and I have my plans ready for the highway peg mounting brackets. Due to my selling my old Dodge diesel pickup, I now have a Garmin 665 GPS on the way, and a new Spot-2 tracker. Just after ordering the GPS I found out about a very nice Russell saddle being sold by a fellow ST-Owners forum member. He was very generous and worked with me on the payment for the seat...it should be shipping out today. This seat will make 1000 mile days a walk in the park!

Left to do on the bike before Moonshine:
  • Make driving light brackets
  • Install 2 sets of driving lights
  • Make highway peg mounts
  • Make mounting bracket for my Pelican box, which will be the tool box
  • Install all plastic back on the bike
  • Lift bike from the basement
 Departure is April 6th, so time is running out!

No comments:

Post a Comment