Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First Week of Ownership

Initial preview before purchase.
I thought I would catch up on the fun I've had since purchasing this ST1300. As I mentioned in my intro, I brought it home on Saturday, March 12th. I was very fortunate to have an enclosed trailer loaned to me, as we still had a fair amount of snow and ice on the ground in my area, and the previous owner lived up several miles of back roads that were covered with snow and ice.
We loaded it up and because of nice weather in central NH that day, decided to take a little ride. We unloaded the bike at a gas station next to the highway and rode it a couple exits south and had lunch in Tilton. This was my first time on an ST1300 and I found I made the right choice in buying it. My wife, Amelia, was also quite comfortable on it. We made use of the heated grips and heated seat. The electric windshield is great as well, allowing me to raise it in cold temps or rain, and lower it for more airflow on hot days.

Getting ready for the first ride!
After the initial 25 mile test ride the ST had to sit for a few days because of snow. Fortunately it warmed up a bit and I was able to come home and get it during lunch Tuesday, March 15th. After work I took the long way home- across Rt. 2 from Gorham to Lancaster, up Rt. 3 to Groveton, and across 110 to Milan and home. I rode it two more days that week, also taking the long way home. Come the weekend I put 600 more miles on it, including a ride to Keene on Friday afternoon and returning Saturday; and a game of Photo Tag on Sunday.

Old tag, Squam River covered bridge
Photo Tag: For those who don't know, this is a game which involves someone taking a picture of their bike with some kind of landmark, attraction, or interesting place, and post it to the appropriate Tag forum (divided by state on the St Owners forum). The goal is to figure out what and where the attraction is, ride to it and get a photo of your bike with it, then choose a new Tag and get a photo of your bike with the new tag, and post it. I found the idea interesting and gave it a try the first Sunday I had my bike home, and moved the NH tag from the Squam River covered bridge to the water tower at Clark's Trading Post. I got in around 150 miles or so, in temps ranging from 30 to 45 degrees. My riding gear worked O.K., and my heated seat and grips were great, but I was still pretty chilly when I got home.
I had a bonus when I arrived at Clark's Trading Post- I found something I had only heard about from my father in law, but I recognized it immediately. It was an old steam log hauler! This one was built in 1915. These used to haul "trains" of log skids behind them, often 3 skids at a time.

Unfortunately my first week of ST ownership ended on a sour note. I went into work Monday morning and was notified that I was laid off due to lack of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment